🌹 = Great for first-timers! Calendar Editors add “New Member Friendly” category to an event. View printable Upcoming Events List (prints 2 per sheet).
- This event has passed.
Socialist Night School
September 30 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Short URL: https://seattledsa.org/?p=12342
Socialist Night School is an open course that provides a chance to develop our politics together, regardless of background knowledge or whether you’ve attended a class before. New members and lifelong socialists, all are welcome! To sign up for our mailing list or to find out more, e-mail us at [email protected]
With the primary season heating up and the local general election quickly approaching, we’re going to focus on a practical matter for this month’s session. What’s the difference between “progressive” and socialist? Why are those differences important? What is democratic socialism, anyway?
This discussion will help to prepare us for the many conversations we will have with our friends and neighbors between now and March 2020. We need to be able to articulate what makes our political vision different, and why being a “progressive” isn’t enough. Together we’ll explore what makes Bernie different than a progressive candidate like Elizabeth Warren. We’ll also try to figure out how we might be able to talk about Bernie to our progressive friends and neighbors, and hopefully win their support for socialist ideas. We hope you’ll join us!
- Meagan Day, Democratic socialism, explained by a democratic socialist
- Jonathan Martin, What Elizabeth Warren is Quietly Telling Democratic Insiders
- Zaid Jilani, Why the Differences Between Sanders and Warren Matter
- Stephen Maher, Accountable Capitalism or Democratic Socialism?
- Neal Meyer, What is Democratic Socialism
- Natasha Fernández-Silber, Say it Loud, Say it Proud: Democratic Socialism is the Future
Seattle Central College
Broadway-Edison Building, Room 4151