🌹 = Great for first-timers! Calendar Editors add “New Member Friendly” category to an event. Printable Events List (2 per sheet).
- This event has passed.
STRIKE! Lessons for Washington’s Workers from The West Virginia Educator Strike ?
July 24, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Short URL: https://seattledsa.org/?p=7393
Join Seattle DSA and the Martin Luther King County Labor Council for an evening dedicated to learning from a leader of one of the most successful, militant, and rank-and-file-led strikes in recent US history.
Nicole McCormick is a middle school music teacher and was a leader of the 2018 West Virginia Educator Strike. She was one of the moderators of the 24,000-member Facebook group that teachers and school support staff used to organize. Nicole is the current President of the Mercer County Education Association and the mother of 4 children under 8-years old.
Nicole will respond to the following questions:
- Prior to 2018, what other ways had West Virginia educators attempted to make positive change for themselves and their students? What were the results of those efforts?
- What was the context for the strike and how did it get started in 3 counties?
- How did the strike expand statewide?
- How did all of the different educators and support staff build and maintain unity?
- What role did Facebook play in organizing the strike?
This event is open to all!
Seating is first come, first served. Admission is free but voluntary contributions will be accepted to defray the cost of the venue and the speaker’s trip from West Virginia to Seattle.